Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Joy

Sometimes you need a kick in the backside to snap out of a funk. Sometimes, all it takes is a cold, wet nose and a whine to get you off said backside and just go out and enjoy some simple things. I received a nice little lesson in joy today from the Minister of Joy himself: my dog Jake.

A short photo reminder of how easy it can be to enjoy yourself after the jump.

Still broadcasting here from Wilmington. So far the weather's been a little uncooperative, with cold temps and wind that makes it downright bonechilling .Yesterday was spent hunkered down inside reading until Jake finally had enough and gave me the old hangdog eyes until I caved in and took him out for a 45 minute run. I was so glad we went out and braved the wind and got the kinks out that I promised myself we'd hit the beach today, regardless of temperature or wind.

I love beaches in the winter, mainly because there's nobody there. That being said, cold wind and sand can make it pretty unpleasant if you're not dressed appropriately like, say, me today. I'll be honest, when we got there, the wind had kicked up several notches (see the second wind comment from this week's Manic Monday post for an apt description), and I thought about bagging it.

Thank goodness I followed through, because Jake and I had the beach to ourselves, and I was able to let him off the leash. What ensued was the typical doggie reaction to the combination of freedom, water, and sand. Jake promptly galloped into the surf, played in the waves, came running up to me and rolled around in the sand like it was the greatest thing that ever happened to him. Then he did it again, and again. Case in point:
Just before sprinting back into the ocean
And we're back!!!
Commence the patented "Jake Barrel Roll"
How about two?
or three?
And we're done... All with a smile on our face...
I sometimes need reminding about the simple beauties and pleasures of this world. More times than not, the reminders come in a furry, tail-wagging package...

Thanks for the lesson, Jake... Good boy...

1 comment:

  1. love it! glad you got out there today. wish I could!

    jd

    ReplyDelete