Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wednesday Quote Machine: Exploratory Edition

In another attempt to get volume up around here, I'm giving myself another weekly assignment, in addition to Manic Monday. In a retort/shout out to my wife, who thinks I'm creative, I'm going to try to prove that I am, in fact, simply re-creative. I've actually never had an original thought in my life, merely co-opted the lines and ideas from much more talented and witty observers.

So, every Wednesday, we're gonna throw out a couple of quotes and ideas by other people that have either popped into my consciousness recently or have lingered there over the years. It's actually a riff on something I did while living in Spain years ago. Any of my close friends from that wonderful year will remember the infamous Quote Book, and how out of control it got. This will hopefully stay fairly reined in. We'll have poets, thinkers, singers, writers, bloggers, misfits, friends, enemies, infidels, true believers, winner, losers, leaders, and many more represented here as it progresses.

Basically, it comes down to putting down a post without actually having to write something, which dovetails well with my complete lack of originality.


Of course, we have to start off with cycling. Forgive me:
"'It's a bollocks, this race! You're working like an animal, you don't have time to piss, you wet your pants. You're riding in mud like this, you're slipping ... it’s a pile of shit.'
When then asked if he would start the race again, he replied:
'Sure, it's the most beautiful race in the world!'”
--Dutch cycling PRO, Theo de Rooij, in 1985 regarding Paris-Roubaix


Somewhere under there is my Main Man George

An interesting glimpse into the psyche of a Hall of Fame basketball coach and what drives them:
"I'll guarantee you, Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski, whether he admit it or not, I don't really care, but if they don't fear failure more than they seek success, I'll be very surprised."
--UConn Basketball Coach and 2011 National Champion Jim Calhoun


Because I just made my wife's killer version of a BLT:
"There's two things in life that money can't buy. That's true love and home grown tomatoes."
--Guy Clark




Because I'm a hippie at heart:
"In this great future, we can't forget our past."
--Bob Marley


Really a hippie, and because my wife put the song into my head today on our daily wakeup call:
"I can change the world... with my own two hands..."
--Ben Harper






Have a good day, peeps...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding me of Ben Harper today. I couldn't think of what music would really fit with all that I have going on in my brain, but you solved it for me: I need to make a Ben station on Pandora. You rock. --Jess

    ReplyDelete